The history of our theatre......
The story of the LaMoure County Summer Musical Theatre begins many years ago, in the pioneer days of the 1870's. It was then that settlers in LaMoure County discovered a secluded spot in the bend of the James River that was perfect for gathering and socializing. Families continued to meet there for many years, and the spot played host to many events and celebrations. In 1920, the area received official recognition and LaMoure County dedicated its Memorial Park to the county's war veterans.
The next year, the county began construction on the auditorium which would eventually become the LaMoure County Summer Musical Theatre. At the time of its construction, the building wasn't intended as a theater but simply as a place to hold gatherings of any kind. In the beginning, the auditorium was used to hold political gatherings, graduations, and church services. But as the years went on, the community's interest in the auditorium eventually waned and the building fell into disrepair. It might have continued its inevitable decline, if a local music teacher named Ron Zimmerman hadn't recognized its potential.
Zimmerman was a champion of the performing arts, and wanted to find a way to bring musical theater to his rural community. He realized that the auditorium could easily be converted into a theater, and he took it upon himself to not only fix up the structure, but to start a new theatrical organization. Thanks to Zimmerman's dedications, the LaMoure County Summer Musical Theatre opened in 1972 with a production of "The Fantasticks".
Since then, LCSMT has grown into a serious community presence, and remains the most prominent arts organization in the region. Zimmerman's dedication continued to inspire. By the time he retired, there was a whole legion of enthusiastic volunteers willing to pick up where he left off.
Theses days, volunteers gather every summer to perform musicals, non-musicals, and children's plays.